Monday, June 7, 2010

Maharaj - on suffering

Question:
How is it that the question 'Who am I' attracts me little?

Maharaj:
If you have no problem of suffering and release from suffering, you will not find the energy and persistence needed for self-enquiry.  You cannot manufacture a crisis.  It must be genuine.

Question:
How does a genuine crisis happen?

Maharaj:
It happens every moment, but you are not alert enough.  A shadow on your neighbor's face, the immense and all-pervading sorrow of existence is a constant factor in your life, but you refuse to take notice.  You suffer and see others suffer, but you don't respond.

Question:
What you say is true, but what can I do about it?  Such indeed is the situation.  My helplessness and dullness are a part of it.

Maharaj:
Good enough.  Look at yourself steadily -- it is enough.  The door that locks you in, is also the door that lets you out.  The 'I am' is the door.  Stay at it until it opens.  As a matter of fact, it is open, only you are not at it.  You are waiting at the non-existent painted doors, which will never open.

From ""I am That"



Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj,

No comments: